Monday, July 24, 2006

Updates and Stuff

I thought tonight would be a good time to provide some updates to the topics I have covered in my first three months as a blogger.

•My May 31st blog centered on the coming hurricane season. I suggested that the 2005 hurricane season was an aberration and that I expected a calmer summer despite intense news coverage and fear-mongering. The Houston Chronicle recently ran an article titled, Hurricane season comes in like a lamb. It points out that, “In contrast to last year's record-setting destruction, the 2006 hurricane season has opened with a whimper."

•On June 2nd I discussed Dirk Nowitzki’s 50 point explosion in Game 5 of the Western Conference Finals and related it to the “hot hand fallacy” from sport psychology. My blog then seemingly found its first victim of a Sports Illustrated cover-like jinx. Following my write-up Dirk shot just 39% while averaging 23 points over his team’s next seven games. As Dirk’s hand cooled, so did the Mavs, and Mark Cuban’s boys provided another ring for Shaq and Pat Riley.

•On June 7th I wrote about the history of Nebraska quarterbacks in the NFL and our apparent difficulties in recruiting top-flight high school QBs. It appears that Nebraska has found their man for the 2007 class in Patrick Witt from Wylie, Texas, who committed exactly three weeks after my post. Witt is 6’4”, 215 lbs. and is rated as a 3-star prospect by Rivals. He looks the part of a strong-arm QB and the coaches are clearly impressed by his mechanics. It will certainly be interesting to see how he fits in over the next couple of years.

•The World Cup ended with Italy crowned as the well-deserving champions. I really enjoyed watching the coverage and plan on continuing to follow the sport when the English Premier League begins in August. Unfortunately this World Cup might be best remembered for the poor performance of the U.S. team and the vicious Zinedine Zidane headbutt in the final. My only comment about the latter is who knew soccer players avoided using their hands even while fighting?

•On June 28th I wrote about the 20th anniversary of the passing of Len Bias. In the weeks since, ESPN Classic has been airing "The Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame...Len Bias' Death for the Demise of the Boston Celtics”.

In addition, here are some random thoughts I've been pondering lately.

•There is an antique store in our neighborhood that we pass while walking Sam. I recently noticed a sticker in the window that read “Protected by Radio Shack Security System”. I immediately imagined the alarm asking an intruder for his phone number. It’s a shame no one will get that.

•The English language is so peculiar. We have “horrible” and “horrific”, and then “terrible” and…“terrific”?

•I know it’s a terrorist organization and all, but Hezbollah is really fun to say.

•Last week we had a police helicopter with its spotlight on circling our neighborhood at tree-top level for about 20 minutes. I never really know what to do in that situation besides make sure the doors are locked and perhaps turn on the local news. In the back of my mind, however, I’m always thinking it would be a really bad time for a black male to decide to go jogging.

•So let me get this straight: Smoking a cigarette in a bar = illegal. Making a U-turn while driving = illegal. Fireworks that actually go “boom” = illegal. Carrying a gun in your waistband = legal? Oh you wacky Lincoln lawmakers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home