Friday, June 30, 2006

Those Were The Days

I was feeling nostalgic so I thought I would post some random musings from my life in youth sports.

•Have you ever seen a basketball team use the “three-man weave” in a game situation? Me neither, but apparently every junior high team is still required to fumble their way through it.

•All little league catchers have one thing in common. It’s called “being the fattest kid on the team”.

•Speaking of catchers, I was always jealous of all of their equipment. I mean, how cool could I feel wearing polyester pants, a way too-big t-shirt advertising some Havelock business, and a mesh hat that is now only cool in an ironic way?

•Obviously, the major problem with U.S. soccer is that our best athletes go to football, basketball and baseball (maybe not quite in that order) leaving soccer with what’s left. And me, well I lettered in tennis.

•To this day whenever I get really sweaty from working out or enjoying some athletic endeavor, I always crave a Shasta Cola. Take that Pavlov’s dogs.

•I remember when my dad wouldn’t let me wear black basketball shoes because they would make me look slow. Um, dad, you know what was making me look slow…your genes.

•I once hit a triple in a Babe Ruth game. When I got to third base Coach Svehla said and I quote, “I didn’t know you could hit one that far”. It’s coaching like that led me directly to sport psychology.

•I was never a star player, but I do have quite a few trophies. I guess I was the Lincoln version of Steve Kerr or Michael Cooper.

•Thankfully none of my trophies says “Most Improved”. The criteria for “Most Improved” was generally, “stopped wearing his glove on his head in the outfield”.

•The best T-ball coaching strategy was definitely the alphabetized batting order.

•In 6th grade I played midget football at 63 pounds (I’m not kidding). My nickname was “Holy shit, I can’t believe he got up after that”.

•I was in the 101 lbs. weight class during wrestling in 8th grade gym class. My only two opponents were a kid with really bad asthma and a mop.

•One of my midget football teammates was Matt Beetem. My favorite moment of the season was all of the coaches yelling, “Beetem Off, Beetem Off” in order to avoid being penalized for having 12 men on the field.

Well that was fun. I hope you enjoyed them. I might have to do that again sometime.

1 Comments:

Blogger Amy A said...

Hey now, I am the proud owner of "most improved" trophies! Mine was for "stopped doing cartwheels in right field" and for the record, I could do them with my glove on my hand and blowing a bubble with that shredded bubble gum that was like chew! Hmmm I want a Shasta now too.

7/01/2006 11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home