Sunday, July 30, 2006

Something to Keep an Eye On

A student in the course I was a TA for last fall is suing the University of Houston, and my supervising professor for failing to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act. I don’t want to discuss this too much here (considering our family does not have a quality attorney on retainer), but I will mention that the news articles only tell one side of the story. I was aware of the situation at the time and believed it was handled in an appropriate and just manner that was inline with the university’s policies. That being said, there is no way the university wins this lawsuit and the policy is sure to be changed.

As best I can tell I was not named in the lawsuit, but was mentioned at least in passing:
"The four teaching assistants assigned to the class refused to take notes for Bradford, the lawsuit says.”
Or so Bradford claims. But, um, any publicity is good publicity…right?

Anyway, you can read more about it here and here.

1 Comments:

Blogger Amy A said...

I got spoken to in college because I took notes for a dislexic student (ironic huh) anyway I quit turning in notes when she wasn't in class and they tried to reprimand me for it (I can't even spell that). I had figured out who the student was because I kept running into her at the SWD office and we had the same major. But when I explained my side of the story they said that's fair, carry on. Hopefully the same happens for you. Why would someone get a TA to take notes anyway, that's not fair in itself. The student should've had a less capable note taker, like in my story, anyway.

8/02/2006 8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home